Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

941 Bourbon St., New Orleans, Louisiana

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Situated in the heart of the Vieux Carre, Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop was erected sometime between 1772 and 1791 and is an excellent example of a French Colonial Louis XV townhouse of briquete-entre-poteaux construction. It was built by Jean and Pierre Lafitte, illicit dealers in "black ivory" (slaves), who according to tradition, posed as blacksmiths to mask their nefarious trade. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970
Reference number
70000255
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Briquete-entre-poteaux
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1761; 1772

Update Log 

  • August 10, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources