Blandwood

Also known as: Keeley Institute
447 W. Washington St., Greensboro, North Carolina

Photo 

Blandwood

Photo taken by Michael Miller in March 2015

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The original farmhouse was constructed in the 1790s; in 1844 the then-current owner had architect Alexander J. Davis design a large new addition. The resulting structure was an influential prototype of the Italian Villa Style and is one of the earliest surviving examples of this style. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 7, 1988

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1970
Reference number
70000455
Architectural styles
Victorian: Renaissance; Other architectural type; Tuscan Villa
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1844
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Sources