Hampton Plantation

Also known as: Hampton Plantation House, Hampton Plantation State Park, Hampton Plantation State Historic Park
8 mi. N of McClellanville, McClellanville, South Carolina

Photos 

Hampton Plantation, Wambaw Creek

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, C.E. Peterson, Photographer c. 1935 DISTANT VIEW.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Erected in 1735, enlarged in 1757 and again in 1791, this building evolved from a modest frame structure built by a Huguenot settler into a large Georgian county house. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

Hampton, erected in 1735, greatly enlarged after 1757, and with final additions made in 1790-91, is an excellent example of a modest sized frame structure that evolved through organic growth into a large, unified Georgian frame country house. The structure includes one of the earliest examples of the use of the giant portico in American domestic architecture, and Hampton is South Carolina’s finest example of a large two-and-one-half story frame Georgian plantation house. The original house was a four-room center hall structure, with two more rooms on the second floor, built by Noe Serre, a Huguenot settler. The one-and-one-half story frame building on raised brick foundations was 40 feet long and 34 feet deep, and had two interior chimneys. In 1757, the plantation came into the possession of Daniel Horry through marriage, and shortly thereafter he more than doubled the size of the original house. A second full story was added and extensions made to both ends, bringing the structure to its present size. The present hipped roof, with two dormers in front and rear, was built over the entire house, and each new wing had an interior chimney. In 1790-91, the south façade assumed its present unified appearance, when a six column wide giant portico and pediment were added across the center portion of the original house. Rosettes, panels, and flutings adorn the frieze of the portico, and the pediment contains a circular window with four keystones. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1970; Designated a National Historic Landmark April 15, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970
Reference number
70000582
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1735; 1757; 1790

Update Log 

  • December 11, 2017: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Additional Name"
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description"

Sources