Herndon Terrace

Also known as: W.E. Thomason Place
Herndon Terrace, Union, South Carolina

Historic home in Union, SC

Photo 

Herndon Terrace, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Union, settled in 1791, usurped the prestige of Old Pinckneyville after 1800. It prospered first as a crossroads town and than as a wealthy upcountry planter town. Today, Union retains a number of impressive antebellum mansions in both county and town. Herndon Terrace is one of the best remaining examples of this type of architecture. Built ca. 1845-48, Herndon Terrace is an excellent example of a Greek Revival mansion. Massive columned porticos present identical facades on three sides, with solid brick columns covered with stucco. Front steps extend across the house. The interior features high frescoed ceilings and elaborately carved woodwork. A once separate kitchen now adjoins the house and an old slave cabin and cistern remain in the rear yard. The house was built and has always been occupied by the Herndon-Thomson family, prominent in Union County. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 25, 1970
Reference number
70000604
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1845; 1848
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • November 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources