Hammond House

Bounded by Burnet, China, Elm, and Hanna Sts., Calvert, Texas

Map 

Description 

The Hammond House was designed as the Robertson County Courthouse by St. Louis architect W. P. Ingraham in 1875, and was completed in July of 1879. The county seat, however, was moved to Franklin, Texas in December of that same year and it never saw use as a courthouse. The county sheriff and his family lived in Ingraham Castle, as it was then known, until the spring of 1881, when it was sold to a Mr. A. Faulkner. In 1885, R. A. Brown purchased the building and converted it into a residence. It was sold again in 1909, to Mrs. Fannie Lee Hammond, and it remained in the Hammond family until it was sold to the Robertson County Historical Commission in 1967 by the Norton family, heirs of Fannie Lee Hammond... -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 28, 1970
Reference number
70000759
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1875
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing structures: 1

Tags 

19th Century (36,430)
Brick (42,457)
Built during 1870s (4,824)
Calvert, Texas (3)
House (26,853)
Private owner (54,396)
Robertson County, Texas (7)
Texas (3,580)
Tin (2,648)
W.T. Ingraham (1)

Sources