Thomas Rose House

57-59 Church St., Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW; EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Although considerably altered since its erection in 1735-1740, the Thomas Rose House is one of Charleston’s best specimens of colonial architecture. It is a two and a half story Georgian brick townhouse which retains most of its fine original, early Georgian paneling. The square house is five bays wide and four bays deep with stucco-covered walls and a hipped roof with dormers. A large two-story porch was added about 1830 along the south side; it contains a fanlighted street entrance door flanked by engaged half-round Tuscan columns and is topped by triangular pediment. Present main entrance, also dating from ca. 1830, is in second bay of south side. The original entrance was in center of the street façade. The house has a typical Charleston “double house” plan. Historical architect Albert Simons restored and modernized the residence in 1929. The bath and kitchen were added, missing mantels replaced, one bedroom subdivided, and original detached kitchen connected to main house. Listed in the National Register October 15, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1970
Reference number
70000892
NR name
Rose, Thomas, House
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1700-1749
Significant years
1735; 1740

Update Log 

  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View" & "Description"
  • July 28, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • July 7, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Related landmarks 

Sources