Also known as: Grand Mansion of Alabama1 mi. (1.6 km) NW of Forkland, Forkland, Alabama
A historic plantation house near Forkland, Alabama.
1. Historic American Buildings Survey W. N. Manning, Photographer, April 3, 1934. FRONT VIEW. - SOUTH ELEVATION
Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey
View photos at Library of Congress
+32.65816, -87.8958732°39'29" N, 87°53'45" W
Rosemount is a historic plantation house near Forkland, Alabama. The Greek Revival style house was built in stages between 1832 and the 1850s by the Glover family. The house has been called the "Grand Mansion of Alabama." The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 27, 1971.
Allen Glover, of Demopolis, gave the 3,000-acre (1,200 ha) property, along with the beginnings of the main house, to his son, Williamson Allen Glover, in the early 1830s. The house was centered on a prominent star-shaped hill. Williamson Allen Glover expanded the house through successive additions and reconfigurations. He went on to raise a total of sixteen children in the mansion's twenty rooms.
The exterior of the house features a monumental two-story Ionic portico, east and west side porches, and a continuous cornice with dentils above the second story and the cupola. The house plan forms a T-shape, to take advantage of the cross-ventilation that this plan affords. The major interior rooms include an entrance hall, twin parlors, great halls on both main floors that are 60 feet (18 m) long, a dining room, eight bedrooms, and a roof-top cupola, the largest residential example in Alabama. The cupola houses a music room that measures 16 feet (4.9 m) by 25 feet (7.6 m), double doors exit the south side of the music room onto a three sided porch with Doric columns. The cupola functioned as a look-out over the plantation and, along with the great halls, as a way to exhaust heated air out of the house during hot weather. Though no longer extant, the grounds once included formal gardens, a carriage house, a two-story servant's quarters, a schoolhouse, several barns, a corn crib, a shop, five slave cabins behind the main house, and a "slave village" about one mile away. Additionally there was a detached kitchen that was later moved and attached to the house.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 27, 1971
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Single dwelling
- Current function
- Single dwelling
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1832; 1839
- May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description