Dana Adobe

Also known as: Rancho Nipomo
6715 Oak Glen Ave., Nipomo, California

Photos 

Dana Adobe

Photo HABS/HAER 1936, courtesy Library of Congress

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"RANCHO NIPOMO (Cpt. William G. Dana Rancho) - Rancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. For many years Rancho Nipomo was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana’s death in 1858, the Rancho was known throughout the state as a hospitable stopping place for travelers, including Captain John C. Fremont, Edwin Bryant, and General Henry W. Halleck. In 1847 the “Dana Ranch” became one of four designated exchange points on California’s first U.S. mail route." - California Historic Landmark No.1033

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71000189
Areas of significance
Industry; Archeology - Aboriginal; Transportation; Politics/Government; Architecture; Communications; Social History; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Specialty store
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1839

Update Log 

  • March 29, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • March 29, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources