Matthew Lowber House

E of Main St. (U.S. 113A), Magnolia, Delaware

Photos 

SOUTHWEST FRONT

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The Lowber House, constructed in 1774, is a typical Delaware, three-bay, hall-and-parlor farmhouse. The southern, gable end of this brick structure bears the initials of its builder, Matthew Lowber, and the construction date. The interior of this single-pile dwelling retains its original, fully-panelled, fireplace end wall, cornice, and chair rail trim. Until 1845, the Lowber House was the only known dwelling at the crossroads, which later became the site of the town of Magnolia. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 16, 1971
Reference number
71000221
NR name
Lowber, Matthew, House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1774; 1980

Tags 

18th Century (4,636)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1774 (48)
Built during 1770s (549)
Delaware (641)
House (27,588)
Kent County, Delaware (138)
Magnolia, Delaware (3)
Moved (2,194)
Private owner (54,398)
Tin (2,648)

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources