The Anchorage

Also known as: William Elliott House
1103 Bay St., Beaufort, South Carolina

Photo 

The Anchorage

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The builder of this pre-Revolutionary house was Ralph Elliott, who willed it to his nephew, William, a prosperous planter in the district and a member of a prominent family which had been in the colony since the 1690s. In 1772 William Elliott was a representative to The Commons House of Assembly. Prior to the Civil War his grandson, William Elliott III, author, politician, agriculturist and poet occupied the house. During the occupation of Beaufort the house was used as a hospital and designated the “Mission House.” In 1876, General Wade Hampton spoke to the people of Beaufort from the porch. The house has five floors including a ground floor and an attic. It is built of white clapboard on a four-foot wide tabby foundation. Across the front extended a wide piazza with six simple columns. A wide hall with two large rooms on each side leads from the front to the back on each floor. In 1891 Admiral Beardsley bought the house, named it "The Anchorage" and spent approximately $80,000 remodeling, adding stucco to the exterior and ornate carved woodwork to the exterior and to the interior. A second story piazza was built and the simple columns were exchanged for Corinthian. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 23, 1971
Reference number
71000743
NR name
Anchorage, The
Areas of significance
Military; Literature; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1776

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2019: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • June 16, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources