Old House Plantation

NE of Edisto Island via SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina


Old House Plantation and Commissary, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov



Probably one of the oldest houses on Edisto Island, the Old House Plantation predates the Revolutionary period and has a floor plan indicative of that era. Originally a rather small one-and-one half story house with a gable roof and on a basement-height brick supports, the house was likely built by William Jenkins between 1735 and 1760. The house reflects architectural trends in the three centuries of its existence: basic pre-Revolutionary country house design, nineteenth century Greek Revival with touches of Adamesque, as in the symmetry of slender windows to each side of the front doorway, and twentieth century additions of a modern kitchen, bathrooms, central air conditioning and heating. The exterior was extensively altered in the first half of the nineteenth century by the addition of a porch with Tuscan columns at front and engaged columns at rear, the porch covered by a pediment with a keystoned fanlight, two front dormers, Palladian front door with keystoned fanlight, and original boarding between brick supports to form the basement, later replaced by open header brickwork. The commissary was constructed ca. 1898 to serve three plantations: Old House, Oak Island, and Cassina Point. It is a one-story, with loft, rectangular, weatherboard-clad building with a front-gable roof. Listed in the National Register May 14, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1971
Reference number
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Colonial
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1735; 1760

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"