Century House

Also known as: Brick House, Beauregard's Headquarters
SC 34, Ridgeway, South Carolina

Historic antebellum home in Ridgeway, SC

Photo 

Century House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Century House is significant architecturally and historically. Situated on the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad near the center of town, the house became the center of the social and business life of Ridgeway. During the Civil War, Century House entertained and sheltered many refugees from Low Country South Carolina and Georgia. Century House also served as the headquarters for General P.T.G. Beauregard and his staff when Columbia was evacuated upon the approach of Gen. Sherman’s Army in 1865. Century House is a large, two-story brick house built ca. 1853. The Greek Revival design features double-tiered, balustraded piazzas and a crowing pediment on the façade. The double doors on both floors have glass transoms and sidelights. The original interior was composed of four rooms with an unusually large dining room and a wide hall on the first floor. The second floor had four rooms, a central hall, and a large ballroom. Two stairways include the main staircase and a service stairway to the ballroom. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1971
Reference number
71000777
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Civic
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1853; 1865

Update Log 

  • July 5, 2017: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" & Added "Street View"
  • July 5, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • October 31, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Names", "Description" & "Overview"

Related landmarks 

Sources