Pegues Place

Also known as: Claudius Pegues House
N of Wallace, off U.S. 1, Wallace, South Carolina

Photo 

Pegues Place, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Pegues Place is Marlboro County’s only pre-Revolutionary home, built circa 1770 by French Huguenot Claudius Pegues. This two-story Georgian white frame house with lapped siding has a one-story, full façade porch supported by four square columns that stand independent of the porch (a “rain” or “Carolina” porch). Two large exterior gable end chimneys provide fireplaces for 2 rooms on each floor. A late nineteenth century wing was added to provide an additional four rooms on the two floors. The property contains several original outbuildings, including barns, cotton gin, wash house, log smoke house, carriage house, and greenhouse. The house is significant politically and militarily because on May 3, 1781 a cartel for exchanging prisoners of war was signed by Lt. Col. Edward Carrington (for Gen. Nathaniel Greene) and Capt. Frederick Cornwallis (for Gen. Earl Cornwallis) at this house. This is believed to have been the only cartel for the exchange of Revolutionary War prisoners signed and actually carried out during the Revolution. Gen. Greene and Light Horse Harry Lee were said to be frequent guests at the home of Mr. Pegues. Listed in the National Register January 25, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 25, 1971
Reference number
71000790
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1770; 1781; 1785
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 9

Update Log 

  • September 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources