Hale-Elmore-Seibels House

Also known as: Picriccorn House, Seibels House
1601 Richland St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Hale-Elmore-Seibels House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Possibly the oldest house in Columbia, the Seibels House was built entirely of hand-hewn timber by A. M. Hale on a portion of the Thomas Taylor Plantation. Due to loss of state and local records by fire, the exact date of the house cannot be determined. However, there is record of the date 1796 carved on one of the hand-hewn timbers in the basement. The house was later purchased by Captain Benjamin Elmore, who then sold it to Mr. John Jacob Seibels. It is two-and-one-half-stories with Georgian lines. The first story, with wide doorway and sidelights, is of brick with four large shuttered windows. The second story is clapboard with six unshuttered windows. Piazzas on the front and the west sides of the house are supported by slender Doric columns. Piazzas formerly extended on three sides; east piazza replaced ca. 1900 by the addition of a sun porch on the first floor and a room on the second floor. Other additions include extensions enlarging the first and second story rooms on the back northeast corner of the house. Mantel pieces are believed to be original. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71000804
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1796
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo

Sources