Bradley, George M., House

Also known as: Martin Hall
Eaton St., Providence College Campus, Providence, Rhode Island

Photos 

Providence College, George M. Bradley House

1. Photocopy of photograph Photographer and date unknown GENERAL REAR VIEW

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

One of two country villas designed by Thomas A. Tefft in the Providence area. Constructed in 1850, the building now known as Martin Hall originally was used as the main residence of Judge Charles S. Bradley, who served as chief justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. The house was part of the Bradley Estate purchased by the College in 1926. The College renamed the house in 1962 to honor St. Martin de Porres, a Dominican lay brother from Lima, Peru, who is recognized as the patron saint of social and interracial justice. The building was renovated in 2004-05. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS RI-383)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 13, 1972
Reference number
72000037
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1850; 1855

Update Log 

  • December 15, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources