Battle-Friedman House

Also known as: Friedman Civic & Cultural Center, Battle House, Friedman Home
1010 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa, Alabama

An antebellum town home located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Photos 

Battle-Friedman House

Photo taken by WillyT

View this photo at bamarides.com

Map 

Description 

The Battle Friedman House (also known as Battle House or Friedman Home) is an antebellum town home located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The house was built in 1835 by Alfred Battle and his wife, Millicent Battle. The house's grounds include the only remaining documented antebellum garden in the state, the house itself is noted for its vernacular use of monumental boxed columns. The Battle family lived in the house until 1875, when the home was purchased by Bernard Friedman. The Friedman family continued to reside in the house until Victor Hugo Friedman died in 1965, leaving the house to the city of Tuscaloosa. The Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society currently maintains the house as a historic house museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 14, 1972
Reference number
72000184
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1835
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Tags 

19th Century (36,681)
Alabama (1,817)
Brick (42,459)
Built 1835 (262)
Built during 1830s (2,672)
Federal (4,577)
House (26,973)
Owned by local government (11,501)
Stucco (7,816)
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama (44)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama (27)

Update Log 

  • January 9, 2012: New photos from WillyT
  • May 27, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources