Musgrove Evans House

409--411 E. Logan St., Tecumseh, Michigan

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Evans House

Musgrove Evans built this dwelling in 1826. It is the oldest frame house in Tecumseh and believed to be the oldest still standing in Lenawee County. Evans was a pioneer settler in this area. He platted the the village of Tecumseh, served as its first postmaster and probate judge, and helped organize Michigan's first temperance society. Used as an inn and home, the Evans House was moved to this location in 1886 from the northeast corner of Ottawa Street and Chicago Boulevard. However, its appearance has changed little over the years.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 16, 1972
Reference number
72000634
NR name
Evans, Musgrove, House
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Business; Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1826

Tags 

19th Century (37,681)
Built 1826 (123)
Built during 1820s (1,810)
Federal (4,590)
House (27,561)
Lenawee County, Michigan (54)
Michigan (1,927)
Moved (2,192)
Musgrove Evans (2)
Private owner (54,398)
Tecumseh, Michigan (11)

Sources