Joseph M. Loop House

Also known as: Sanilac Historical Museum
228 S. Ridge, Port Sanilac, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Loop Harrison House

This Second Empire style mansion was built in the 1870s by Doctor Joseph Loop. A native of New York, Loop moved to Oakland County, Michigan, in 1843. he and his wife, Jane Gardner Loop pioneered this land in Sanilac County in 1854, and after graduating from the University of Michigan medical department in 1855, he opened a practice in Port Sanilac. When this home was built, he kept an office on the lower floor, and serviced a forty-mile circuit, bringing medical care to much of the county. Doctor Loop died in 1903 at the age of ninety-three, leaving the home to his only child, Ada. She and her husband, the Reverend Julius Harrison passed it in turn to one of their sons, Captain Stanley Harrison. In 1964 he deeded it to the Sanilac County Historical Society for a museum.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 9, 1972
Reference number
72000654
NR name
Loop, Joseph M., House
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Medical business/office; Single dwelling; Library
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1875
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources