Manship House

412 E. Fortification St., Jackson, Mississippi

Photos 

Manship House

1. Historic American Buildings Survey James Butters, Photographer June 1, 1936 FRONT (WEST ELEVATION)

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Constructed ca. 1857, the Manship House is the finest extant Gothic Revival structure in Jackson, Mississippi, and is one of the few fully developed "Cottage Gothic" residences in the state. The design of the facade, or west elevation, is clearly derived from Figure 128 in Andrew Jackson Downing's influential pattern book "The Architecture of Country Houses" (1850). The residence was built for Charles H. Manship (1812-1895), an ornamental painter and civic leader who was serving as mayor of Jackson when the city surrendered to General William T. Sherman on July 16, 1863. Charles Manship's son, Luther, who spent his early years at the residence, was also a distinguished Mississippian, serving as lieutenant governor of the state during the Edmund F. Noel administration, 1908-1912. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MS-68)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 18, 1972
Reference number
72000693
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Levels of significance
State; Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1857; 1863

Sources