Fort Klock

2 mi. E of St. Johnsville on NY 5, St. Johnsville, New York

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey (Fed.), Stanley P. Mixon, Photographer June 15, 1940, (A) EXTERIOR, GENERAL VIEW OF SITE FROM OLD BARN FOUNDATION, LOOKING TOWARD FORT KLOCK & MOHAWK RIVER, SHOWING REMAINING BUILDINGS OF THE OLD FARM GROUP.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Fort Klock, a one-story stone structure, a rare example of a mid-18th-century fur trading post and fortified stone house. It was used as a place of refuge by settlers during the Revolutionary War. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 28, 1972

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1972
Reference number
72000859
Areas of significance
Commerce; Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Department store; Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1750; 1775; 1783

Update Log 

  • July 1, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER