Barnwell-Gough House

Also known as: Old Barnwell House
705 Washington St., Beaufort, South Carolina


Barnwell-Gough House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2019



Street View 


Built in 1789, the Barnwell-Gough House is a noteworthy example of Adam style architecture adapted to local building materials, in this case, tabby, a cement mixture using oyster shells. This large two-story house with a hipped roof rests on a raised basement. Exterior walls are made of tabby covered with stucco. Façade features a double-tiered, pedimented portico mounted on an arcaded base. A flight of seven stone steps flanked with curved stone abutments leads to the first level of the portico. The portico shelters a central entrance which is surmounted with a transom and features a decorative Adamesque surround with fluted pilasters. The pediment is unadorned. Wings extend from the east and west sides of the building. The house was built for Elizabeth Barnwell Gough, whose grandfather, Colonel John Barnwell, built Fort King George on the Altamaha River in 1721 to protect the colony of South Carolina from Spanish encroachment to the south. Elizabeth’s husband, Richard, served as a representative in the South Carolina General Assembly. Listed in the National Register November 15, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 15, 1972
Reference number
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Federal; Adams Style
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2019: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • June 16, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks