John A. Cuthbert House

1203 Bay St., Beaufort, South Carolina

Photo 

John A. Cuthbert House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in May 2015

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Architecturally, the Cuthbert House is typical of Beaufort’s gracious waterfront homes and is an important component of the Beaufort Historic District. Built ca. 1811, the Federal style Cuthbert House is mounted on a raised foundation with central hallways on both floors extending from front to rear, the white clapboard house is designed to take advantage of the waterfront southwesterly breezes. The façade has a central, double-tiered portico supported by Tuscan columns. First floor entrance is surmounted by a semi-elliptical fanlight and flanked by sidelights and has a pair of shuttered windows to either side. Alterations of the late nineteenth century include the addition of rooms, bay windows, Victorian trim and porches on either side of the central portico. John Alexander Cuthbert was born 1790 in St. Helena’s Parish, South Carolina. In 1811, he married Mary B. Williamson of Prince William’s Parish for whom this house was built. During the Civil War, the Cuthbert House became the property of US Army Brigadier General Rufus Saxton. General Saxton became director of freemen affairs and cultivation in June 1862 when this responsibility was shifted from the Treasury to the War Department. Listed in the National Register June 13, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 13, 1972
Reference number
72001192
NR name
Cuthbert, John A., House
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824
Significant years
ca. 1811; 1862

Update Log 

  • May 28, 2015: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • June 17, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources