Jennings-Brown House

121 S. Marlboro St., Bennettsville, South Carolina

Photos 

Jennings-Brown House, Renovated Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Architecturally, historically and militarily significant, the Jennings-Brown House was built by Dr. E.W. Jones, one of Bennettsville’s earliest physicians, on a four-acre site which he purchased in 1826-27. It was one of the first houses built after Bennettsville became the Marlboro County Seat in 1819. Architecturally, this house is important as Bennettsville’s only remaining two-story home built prior to 1853. It is recognized as a town and area landmark and before being moved in 1900 to 121 S. Marlboro Street and subsequently altered, was an authentic example of the fine homes built in this area ca. 1830. The house also served as headquarters for Major General Frank P. Blair, commanding general of the U.S.A. XVII Army Corps, which captured and occupied Bennettsville on March 6-7, 1865. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972 - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972
Reference number
72001215
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1800; 1850; 1865

Update Log 

  • September 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources