Debruhl-Marshall House

1401 Laurel St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Debruhl-Marshall House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The DeBruhl-Marshall House is noted for its significant landscape architecture. Gardens to front and east of house are in their original form and still contain its first brick walkways and many plants and trees planted when the house was built in 1820. The lot was L-shaped with a carriage house and gardens. The house is also significant as one of Columbia’s most outstanding examples of Greek Revival architecture with solid brick exterior and interior walls, massive columns, impressive arched front and rear doorways, original materials and manual craftsmanship. The two-story house with gabled slate roof and full basement has three-foot thick brick exterior walls which taper as they rise to the main floor. Steps rise from the arched basement to the marble portico floor which extends three bays of the five bay width. Four massive Doric columns support an unornamented pediment. The interior remains largely original with the exception of a flying staircase taken from Columbia’s old courthouse that was torn down before 1896. Listed in the National Register March 23, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 23, 1972
Reference number
72001218
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1820

Update Log 

  • October 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources