Preston C. Lorick House

Also known as: Lorick-Baker House
1727 Hampton St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Preston C. Lorick House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built by Algernon Sidney Johnson before 1840, and remodeled in the late 1800s, the Preston C. Lorick House is significant as a handsome example of early Victorian architecture. Governor John Lawrence Manning owned the house during his term of office from 1852-1854. Manning is noted for his refusal to pardon white men convicted of slave murder and for his stately country house, Milford, nicknamed “Manning’s Folly.” The house was bought by Preston C. Lorick in April of 1877. Lorick planned and maintained a garden that was the object of public admiration. The house was originally two-stories with a gable roof, columned portico and French windows on the front and sides of first floor. In the late 1800s, the Lorick House was redone in the Victorian style. The portico was extended to a full porch encircling the front and sides. Fancy brackets were added under all eaves, as was gingerbread work at gable ends and triangular molding over the side and upper story windows. The porch has a gingerbread balustrade with turned columns featuring unusual patterned gingerbread tops. Original plants and trees (with magnolias and oak well over 100 years old) enhance the gardens to the front and west of the house. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972
Reference number
72001219
NR name
Lorick, Preston C., House
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1840; 1854; 1877

Update Log 

  • October 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources