Tanglewood

Also known as: Page Harris Home, J. Nicholene Bishop Biological Station
About 11 mi. N of Greensboro off AL 23, Greensboro, Alabama

A historic plantation house in Akron, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Tanglewood is a historic plantation house in Akron, Alabama. The Greek Revival cottage was built in 1859 by Page Harris, on land that he had purchased in 1824. It was given to the University of Alabama as a memorial to Nicholene Bishop in 1949 and the grounds are now used as a 480-acre (190 ha) nature reserve known as the J. Nicholene Bishop Biological Station. It is used by the university to aid undergraduate and graduate research in biodiversity and environmental processes. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1973 due to its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1973
Reference number
73000346
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1859

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources