Matheson House

528 S.E. 1st Ave., Gainesville, Florida

Map 

Description 

The Matheson House is probably the second oldest house in Gainesville, Built about 1867. The two-story frame house was built for James Douglass Matheson, a prominent Gainesville merchant and civic office holder. He brought his bride, Augusta Steele, the only daughter of prominent Florida pioneer citizen, Judge Augustus Steele, to live in this house. The house was inherited by their son, Reverend Chris Matheson, D.D., a Gainesville mayor for eight terms and a Florida legislator in 1917-18. The house is occupied today by his widow, Sarah Hamilton Matheson. The Matheson House, according to tradition, was inspired by a similar house in the ancestral South Carolina town of the Mathesons. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1973
Reference number
73000564
Architectural styles
Georgian; Other architectural type; Federal; Transitional
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1867

Tags 

19th Century (37,646)
Alachua County, Florida (55)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1867 (371)
Built during 1860s (3,738)
Federal (4,589)
Florida (1,844)
Gainesville, Florida (36)
Georgian (1,428)
House (27,523)
Private owner (54,396)

Sources