Henry Bennett House

Also known as: Reuben Kempf House
312 S. Division St., Ann Arbor, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Kempf House

Cast iron grilles in an ancient Greek floral motif highlight the frieze of this temple-front Greek Revival house. Built in 1853 for Henry D. Bennett, Secretary and Steward of the University of Michigan, it became the home and studio of local musicians Reuben H. and Pauline Widenmann Kempf in 1890. Trained in Germany, Mr. Kempf (1859 - 1945) taught piano and organ, Mrs. Kempf (1860 - 1953), a graduate of the Cincinnati Conservatory, taught voice. The city of Ann Arbor purchased the house in 1969, and in 1983 it became the Kempf House Center for Local History.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1973
Reference number
73000959
NR name
Bennett, Henry, House
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Performing Arts
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1854; 1890

Sources