Robidoux Row

219-225 E. Poulin St., St. Joseph, Missouri

Photos 

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Noted more for its historical associations than its architecture, Robidoux Row is the last remaining structure to link St. Joseph with the French and Indian fur trade. Joseph Robidous, the founder of the city, began a fur-trading post near this site about 1826. Later, he built and lived in Robidoux Row until his death. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1973
Reference number
73001037
Areas of significance
Commerce; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1849; 1868
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Tags 

19th Century (36,347)
Brick (42,457)
Buchanan County, Missouri (73)
Built 1849 (230)
Built during 1840s (2,934)
Have Street View (34,824)
House (26,792)
Joseph Robidoux, IV (1)
Missouri (4,570)
Private owner (54,396)
St. Joseph, Missouri (50)
Stone (26,162)

Update Log 

  • April 28, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER
  • January 11, 2012: New Street View added by Ruth Reynolds

Sources