Taft Museum

Also known as: Martin Baum House, Sinton Mansion
316 Pike St., Cincinnati, Ohio

Map 

Description 

One of the earliest grand mansions with Federalist detail in Ohio, this single story structure (c. 1820) was formerly the home of Charles P. Taft, half-brother of President Taft. In 1908, William Howard Taft accepted the presidential nomination from the portico. In 1927, Mr. and Mrs. Taft bequeathed it and their collections of paintings, oriental porcelains, and sculpture to the city of Cincinnati. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 7, 1976

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 29, 1973
Reference number
73001470
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Art; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Museum; Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1925-1949
Significant years
1820; 1927