Marshlands Plantation House

N side of Fort Sumter Dr., James Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Marshlands Plantation House, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Architecturally, the Marshlands house is a valuable example of a plantation home built during the Federal period. The interior floor plan, the large front piazza, and the high brick foundations reflect the location and period of construction as well as the lifestyle of the owner. The handcarved woodwork is outstanding and especially noteworthy because of the presence of two distinct styles: Adam ornamentation and gouge work. Marshlands was built during the crest of expanding rice production after the Revolution. The two-and-a-half story clapboard house has remained basically unaltered since it was built in 1810. Brick foundations and chimneys, however, were taken apart and reconstructed following a 1961 move of approximately seven miles from its original Cooper River location to Fort Johnson. The basement level of the main fašade features an arcade of eight high brick arches. Also resting on arched foundations is a steep, brick stairway. The first floor piazza extends the width of the house. Presently screened and enclosed by a balustrade, the piazza has the original hipped roof with dentils on the soffit of the eaves. Supporting the wide porch are eight slender freestanding columns and two identical engaged columns. Listed in the National Register March 30, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 30, 1973
Reference number
73001700
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Government office
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1810

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources