Tom Williams House

0.25 mi. W of Williams on SC 362, Williams, South Carolina

Photo 

Tom Williams House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

This now enclosed example of the once common dogtrot style house was owned by and housed the family of Tom Williams, a much respected middle class farmer who donated land to the town, named in his honor, for a church and cemetery within the community. This one-story 19th century clapboard home on brick piers with a spraddle roof features six tapered, hand-hewn columns that support the front porch roof. Originally the central hall, or dogtrot, was left open to allow breezes to pass through the house. Each window is 6/6 double sash. A rear ell addition and breezeway (making the house ell-shaped) have been torn down and only one of the two original exterior corbeled cap chimneys at either end of the house remain. Listed in the National Register April 26, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 26, 1973
Reference number
73001706
NR name
Williams, Tom, House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1914

Update Log 

  • August 20, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources