Ernest L. Hazelius House

Also known as: Lexington County Museum
Fox St., Lexington, South Carolina

Photos 

Ernest L. Hazelius House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2021

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Ernest L. Hazelius House (ca. 1830) is an example of the modest dwelling built by the German-Swiss settlers of Lexington County in the first half of the nineteenth century. It is a derivation of the hall-and-parlor house prevalent in the 1820s and 1830s from Pamlico Sound in North Carolina through eastern Georgia. Seemingly ordinary in appearance, the native heart pine built house does reflect knowledge of the simpler Greek revival motifs, particularly in the paneled mantels, the use of capitaled columns, and the horizontal emphasis. The rectangular floor plan is divided into four rooms across the front of the house with a central hall and four small bedrooms across the rear. The wide-boarded interior floor is original. The one-story house was occupied from 1834 until 1853 by Ernest L. Hazelius, a clergyman of the Lutheran Church, academician, philosopher, author, and educator. His years as professor of theology in South Carolina’s most predominantly Lutheran section exerted a strong influence upon the Lutheran Church in the United States. Originally located at 225 Columbia Ave., the house was moved to its present location to avoid destruction. Listed in the National Register May 11, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 11, 1973
Reference number
73001717
NR name
Hazelius, Ernest L., House
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion; Philosophy
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1830

Update Log 

  • January 8, 2021: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photos
  • September 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources