Magnolia

Also known as: Chancellor William Johnson House, William L. Kinney House, Johnson-Kinney House
508 E. Main St., Bennettsville, South Carolina

Photos 

Magnolia, Main Entrance

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Magnolia is a fine example of an excellently preserved late antebellum neoclassical, or “bracketed Greek Revival” home in rural South Carolina. Magnolia is a two-story frame house constructed in 1853 by Bennettsville lawyer, William Dalrymple Johnson. Johnson was one of Marlboro County’s three signers of the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession, and the last man elected Chancellor of the Equity Courts of South Carolina before the courts were abolished under the Reconstruction Constitution of 1868. A one-story porch supported by ten Doric columns extends along the northern exposure and front portion of the eastern side. Matching double leaf, five paneled doors are at the front and rear entrances, framed by rectangular transoms and sidelights with unusual rectangular pane design. Boxed cornices are bracketed all around. Behind the house are a barn and the old slave quarters, circa 1853. Listed in the National Register March 14, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1973
Reference number
73001721
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1853; 1860; 1865
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • September 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources