Means House

2 mi. SW of Jonesville on SC 12, Jonesville, South Carolina

Historic home near Jonesville, SC

Photo 

Means House, Left Oblique with Porch

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Means House, dating from the second decade of the nineteenth century, is typical of upcountry South Carolina farmhouses of that period, with the exception that it is constructed of brick. Basically, the architecture of the house is late Georgian of a type that traveled through Virginia to the Carolinas during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The house has a central hall with a large room opening off either side. At either end of the house is a double-shouldered and corbelled chimney. One brick of the east chimney is inscribed with the date 1821. The brickwork is Flemish bond. Attached to the rear of the house is a two-story wooden lean-to comprising four rooms. Near the house stands a barn that is built of hand-hewn logs and probably contemporary with the house. Original interior paints, blues and reds, remain in an unusually good state of preservation. Built by the Means family, who furnished soldiers for both the Revolution and the War of 1812 and who also furnished a governor of the state, the house reflects the typical upcountry family that began the development of the Carolina backcountry and continued a prominent role in the development of the state. Listed in the National Register April 13, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1973
Reference number
73001734
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1800-1824
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • November 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources