Destrehan Plantation

River Rd. (LA 48), Destrehan, Louisiana

Map 

Description 

In 1782, a wealthy and influential French immigrant, Robert Antoine de Logny, bought the site of the plantation from his father-in-law Mathurin Dreaux. Five years later de Logny commissioned a free man of color, Charles, to build the manor. Upon completion of the house in April 22, 1790, master craftsman Charles received a cow, a calf, a slave, rice, corn, and a hundred piastres as agreed in the contract. Built in the French Colonial tradition, the house consisted of the existing pitched roof and chimneys. Surrounding the balconies were short, colonial style wooden columns for support. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS LA-1212)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 20, 1973
Reference number
73002132
Architectural styles
Colonial; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Agriculture; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1750-1799
Significant years
1787; 1840

Sources