Riversdale

Also known as: Calvert Mansion
Riverdale Rd. between 18th and Taylor Sts., Riverdale, Maryland

Map 

Description 

Dating from the beginning of the nineteenth century, Riversdale is one of the last of Maryland's great five-part Palladian mansions. Of stuccoed brick, it was built for Belgian emigree Henri Joseph Stier, and was for a time the repository of the Stier family's collection of Old World master paintings, the most outstanding collection of its type in the country at the time. Riversdale is also significant for its association with Charles Benedict Calvert, Stier's grandson. Calvert helped establish the Maryland Agricultural College on part of the extensive Riversdale acreage, and was instrumental in the establishment of the federal-level Bureau of Agriculture, now the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Riversdale, now restored, is open to the public as a historic house museum. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 9, 1997

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1973
Reference number
73002166
Architectural styles
Federal; Georgian
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Government office
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1800-1824
Significant years
1801; 1830

Comments 

Riversdale
Posted September 21, 2014, by KATHY McFARLAND (MOMMTOO [at] HOTMAIL [dot] COM)

THIS IS LISTED AS BEING BETWEEN 18TH AVENUE AND TAYLOR ROAD. SHOULDN'T IT BE 48TH AVENUE?