Tate House

Also known as: Pink Palace
E of Tate on Hwy. 53, Tate, Georgia

Photo 

Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Col. Sam Tate, named for his grandfather, inherited his father's marble quarry upon his death. He began to combine local quarries into a company he called Georgia Marble. By 1917 the consolidation was complete and in 1923 he began work on his palatial estate known as the "Pink Palace" on the site of the Harnage House. He personally selecting the marble used to build the home from a streak of rare pink marble from local quarry over a 4-year period. A rural aristocracy began to form with Tate and Cherokee County's R. T. Jones

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1974
Reference number
74000700
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Neo-Classical
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1923

Tags 

20th Century (29,077)
Built 1923 (682)
Built during 1920s (8,209)
Georgia (3,068)
Have Street View (44,001)
House (27,494)
Marble (1,154)
Pickens County, Georgia (24)
Private owner (54,396)
Tate, Georgia (4)
Walker & Weeks (17)

Update Log 

  • August 3, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources