Bryan Lathrop House

Also known as: Fortnightly Club
120 E. Bellevue Pl., Chicago, Illinois

Photos 

Bryan Lathrop House

1. Historic American Buildings Survey Harold Allen, Photographer June 1, 1964 SOUTH (front) ELEVATION

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

A notable example of neo-Georgian Architecture in Chicago, the house was designed by McKim, Mead and White for Bryan Lathrop, a Chicago philanthropist and cultural leader. Born in Alexandria, VA on August 8, 1844, Lathrop moved to Chicago at 21. He served as trustee of the Art Institute of Chicago and of the Newberry Library, president of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society, University Club, and the Saddle and Cycle Club. Most notable however, is Lathrop's contribution to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. He was trustee and vice president of the Orchestral Association from 1895-1899, and president from 1899 until his death in 1916. He bequeathed a significant sum to the Orchestral Association which was used to endow the Civic Orchestra... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IL-1037)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 15, 1974
Reference number
74000753
NR name
Lathrop, Bryan, House
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Civic
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1892

Sources