McLeod Plantation

325 Country Club Dr., Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

McLeod Plantation, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Constructed in 1858 by William McLeod, McLeod Plantation has remained in the family since it was built and is still a functioning agricultural enterprise. The oak-line drive to the house recalls the antebellum period, the vestiges of which are fast disappearing on James Island, owing to commercial and suburban development. The plantation still retains many aspects of nineteenth century rural life including five clapboard slave cabins, an additional kitchen/bedroom cabin, indigenous gardens, interesting landscaping, fields, and evidences of Union occupation during the Civil War; there is also an Indian village site on the grounds. The plantation house, built ca. 1858, is a raised two-story clapboard structure with giant order pedimented tetrastyle Roman Doric portico and pilasters at the returns. The present front of the structure was originally the rear; the current portico, constructed in 1926, is supported by a concrete base and is reached by a flight of concrete steps. An intercolumnar balustrade encloses it. The original front porch fašade, however, retains all of its original charm and symmetry. Listed in the National Register August 13, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 13, 1974
Reference number
74001831
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Military; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural fields; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Agricultural fields
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1858
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources