Windsor Plantation

Also known as: Little Edisto Plantation, Ashwood Plantation
E of SC 174 near Little Edisto, Edisto Island, South Carolina


Windsor Plantation, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


Windsor, a spacious house amid moss-hung trees on Russell Creek, was constructed ca. 1857 as a wedding gift to one of the sons of Edward Whaley. This plantation was a major producer of sea island cotton. The large two-and-one-half story clapboard structure is a good example of a sea island interpretation of Georgian architecture. Large verandas, wide halls, spacious rooms with high ceilings and a large number of windows were the general requirements for an area of generally mild winters and hot, humid summers. The high brick foundations, which elevated the structure to catch the river breezes, also helped safeguard it against high tides. The overly large rooms also indicated wealth; their massive fireplaces required the work of many servants to keep the house heated during the winter. The original high brick pillars in Flemish bond are now enclosed for the creation of ground floor rooms. A wide one-story veranda extends across the front of the house and is supported by eight freestanding columns and two engaged columns with an inter-columnar balustrade. The medium gable main roof with returns has two massive hooded chimneys which allow for fireplaces in every room. A much smaller veranda is attached to the rear of the structure. Listed in the National Register July 23, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1974
Reference number
Architectural styles
Georgian; Other architectural type; Georgian vernacular
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1857

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 29, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller