Joel Allen House

Destroyed by fire
NW of Latta, Latta, South Carolina


Joel Allen House, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at



The heart-pine farmhouse, painted white, is typical of the modest, yet well-built South Carolina upcountry house. Since its construction in 1857 the house has been owned by members of the Allen family, many of whom made important contributions to the work of the Southern Baptist Church. Built in 1857 by a local contractor, Solomon Sanderson, the Joel Allen house is a good representative example of the South Carolina upcountry farmhouse. The heart-pine weatherboarding, symmetrical fašade, and interior floor plan of two rooms flanking a central hall are characteristic of many houses constructed during this period on the Eastern seaboard. A front porch extends the width of the house. Supporting the porch are six square wooden columns, set on brick piers independent of the porch. Late 19th-century changes altered the fašade of the farmhouse. The roof was raised so that the house could be enlarged from one-and-a-half to full two stories. Following this addition, the original shingled roof was replaced by the present sheet metal roof to provide drainage of rain water. Foundation materials, sills and floor joists of heavy timber, are original. Weatherboarding and interior woodwork are of sawed lumber, planed and finished by hand. At the time of nomination, five outbuildings, a smoke house, wash house, commissary, stable, and barn, were noted as extant. Listed in the National Register August 13, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 13, 1974
Reference number
NR name
Allen, Joel, House
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
Significant year
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • August 27, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Updated "Status"