Carroll Place

Also known as: Old Carroll Place
Jct. of Quaker and Wire Rds., St. George, South Carolina


Carroll Place, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The Carroll Place, a plain Georgian I-House dwelling, is one of the oldest plantation houses in what is now Dorchester County. Its builder, Joseph Koger, was prominent in the political affairs of the area. The house appears on the Robert Mills survey of 1820. The clapboard single house is of black cypress construction and rests upon massive, low brick pillars laid in English bond. The hip roof is pierced on the rear slope by two single chimneys. On one of these, the date 1829 appears, possibly indicating a completion or remodeling date for the structure. The veranda has a hipped roof, is supported by six wooden posts, and shelters five bays, the center one being an eight-paneled door surmounted by a three-paned flush transom. This home belonged to several prominent state government officials: Joseph Koger, who represented the Parish of St. George, Dorchester, in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1806 to 1812 and the South Carolina Senate from 1818 until 1838; John S. Murray, who served in the South Carolina Senate from 1840 to 1844; and James Carroll, who represented Edgefield District in both the State House of Representatives and Senate before becoming chancellor of the Court of Equity in 1859. Approximately 150 feet from the house is a grave marker dating from 1837 that marks the graves of three Koger children. Listed in the National Register July 25, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 1974
Reference number
Architectural style
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1820

Update Log 

  • August 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • August 28, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller