5 mi. W of Ashville on Greenport Rd., Ashville, Alabama
+33.82055, -86.1930933°49'14" N, 86°11'35" W
Quadrangle map:Cox Gap
The John Looney Pioneer House Museum was built in 1822. It is most likely the oldest two story dogtrot house in the state.
John Looney and son, Henry, served in General Andrew Jackson's volunteer company which built Fort Strother on Coosa River and later fought at Horseshoe Bend in 1814. Looney's family of nine moved from Maury Co. Tenn. to homestead 1817 in St. Clair County. Land patent granted in 1822.
The two story log house with double dog-trot is a rare example of pioneer architecture in Alabama.
Restored by St. Clair Historical Society 1972. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1974.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1974
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; log dogtrot style
- Areas of significance
- Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Single dwelling
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1818; 1820
- June 16, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description