Weyerhaeuser House

Also known as: House on the Hill
3052 10th Ave., Rock Island, Illinois

The French Second Empire style home of lumber baron Frederick E. Weyerhauser and his family

Photos 

North (Front) Face

The home was expanded from a brick farmhouse into the mansion. It remained in the Weyerhaueser family until 1954 when it was donated to Augustana College.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Frederick E. Weyerhaeuser was born in Germany and moved to the United States in 1856. With his brother-in-law, Frederick C.A. Denkmann, the two founded Weyerhaeuser and Denkmann Lumber Company in Rock Island by purchasing a failing lumber mill. Weyerhaeuser was the woodsman, Denkmann was an expert machinist. The company is today known simply as "Weyerhaeuser" and is a $7 Billion corporation with operations in 18 countries, owning more than 6 million acres of woodlands and managing 14 million more acres under contract. A town of 238 in Rusk County, Wisconsin bears his name.

Weyerhaeuser made a huge land purchase in northern Wisconsin and began logging it. The booming and rafting of logs down the Wisconsin, Chippewa and Mississippi Rivers was the stuff of legend. When the lands in Wisconsin and Minnesota were being logged over, Weyerhaeuser recognized that the clear-cutting of forest would not leave anything to cut in the future, and he began to practice conservation and tree farming. Along with several partners, Weyerhaeuser made a purchase of 900,000 acres of prime forest land in Washington. The last board was sawn in Rock Island in 1905 and the operations moved to Washington, where they remain today.

Weyerhaeuser purchased this house in 1865 and began to expand what was a modest brick farmhouse. Although Mr. and Mrs. Weyerhaeuser moved to Washington with the business, the home remained in the hands of their daughter, Apollonia and her husband, Samuel S. Davis. The home remained in the family until 1954, when it was donated to Augustana College.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 11, 1975
Reference number
75000674
Areas of significance
Industry; Art; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
College
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1865

Update Log 

  • June 22, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources