"Nine rooms complete the home and the bricks of which it is constructed, were made from clay on the place. It has never been rebuilt, except for the windows and a few doors which were replaced after the Civil War, when the original ones were destroyed.
"The doors have hand wrought hinges, the fireplaces are large and uneven and it has many builtin cupboards, as they were known in the old days. The basement runs the full length of the first floor. The wide stairways add to the distinctiveness of the old home, and even the old plastered walls are intact.
"The front stairway is English. ...woodwork is heart pine ... The (stairway) woodwork is ivory and the colonial mantels that were part of the original construction still remain.' from the Knoxville Journal, Sunday March 27, 1938, Section 3, page 8, "Home Built Century Ago Has Warmth, Now Kept as Shrine to Family," by Pauline Smith. "On a marble slab over the door, is chiseled the name of the home - "The Ler-Mac." at that time the home was occupied by descendants S. Tim McMahan and his son, S. Tim McMahan, Jr.