Herbert H. Dow House

Also known as: Dow House
1038 W. Main St., Midland, Michigan

Map 

Description 

From 1899 to 1930, this structure was the home of the father of Dow Chemical Corporation. Around 1890, Herbert Dow discovered that bromine could be separated from raw brine by electrolysis. This was the first time an electrochemical process had been employed in the country, and Dow recognized the great potential it offered. He moved to Midland, which had numerous brine deposits with large concentrations of bromine, and in 1887 he founded the Dow Chemical Coumpany. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 11, 1976

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 11, 1976
Reference number
76001033
NR name
Dow, Herbert H., House
Area of significance
Science
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Forest
Current functions
Single dwelling; Forest
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1899; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1