Sandstone Ranch

Also known as: Spring Mountain Ranch State Park
6375 Nevada 159, Blue Diamond, NV

539 acre ranch established in 1876

Photos 

Spring Mountain Ranch

Photo taken by Richard Doody in August 2011

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Sand Stone Ranch, as it was first known, was formed in 1876 by Sergeant James B. Wilson and George Anderson.

German movie star Vera Krupp bought the property in 1955 after divorcing from coffee guru Alfred Krupp.

Howard Hughes purchased the property in 1967 to entice his estranged wife, Jean Peters, to move to Las Vegas. However, Peters had no interest in commuting to what she considered to be a remote location and the Hughes Corporation began using the ranch as a corporate retreat. Hughes ultimately left Vegas in 1971, and the ranch was sold to a local car dealer who wanted to build a condominium development on it. The proposal was eventually thwarted and the land was sold to Nevada State Parks in 1974.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 1976
Reference number
76001141
Areas of significance
Economics; Transportation; Exploration/Settlement; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Animal facility
Current functions
Single dwelling; Animal facility; Agricultural outbuildings
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 9
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • July 30, 2018: Updated by Richard Doody: added historical info, alternate name, corrected address

Sources