Miller House

Virginia Rd., North White Plains, New York

Photos 

The Elijah Miller House is a historic home at North White Plains, Westchester County, New York. The house is an 18th century Rhode Island-style farmhouse that was used during the Revolutionary War by General George Washington. General George Washington occupied the house three times during the American Revolutionary War. The first was October 1776 as a command post during the Battle of White Plains, the second was the summer of 1778, and finally in 1781. Anne Miller, a widow, was General Washington's hostess during his stays. Anne would live to be 96 years old and eventually died in 1819. A Miller daughter, Sarah Miller Cornell, lived at the house until she died in 1838 at age 84. After Westchester County purchased the house in July 1917, it was renovated and opened to the public on October 29, 1918. The house is currently a museum under the Westchester County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation. Outside of the house is an enormous sycamore tree which undoubtedly was there at the time of General Washington's visit. By the early 21st century the house was deteriorating from decades of neglect and was open to the public only on a very limited basis. In 2010 the county legislature passed a $1.2 million bond issue to finance its restoration. County executive Robert Astorino, who had supported preserving the building five years earlier as a member of the legislature, vetoed the measure, saying it should be supported by private funds. (Information source: Wikipedia)

Photo taken by John Reidy

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1976
Reference number
76001292
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1738; 1770; 1776
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • April 21, 2012: New photos from John Reidy

Sources