Gen. Francis Marion Bamberg House

Also known as: Bamberg House
N. Railroad Ave. and N. Carlisle St., Bamberg, South Carolina

Historic home in Bamberg, SC

Photo 

General Francis Marion Bamberg House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The builder of the Bamberg House, General Francis Marion Bamberg (1838-1905), played a vital role in the growth of the town and county of Bamberg. Gen. Bamberg promoted the educational, religious, economic and cultural growth of the town of Bamberg, served as director and president of the Bamberg Banking Company, and helped establish the Bamberg Textile Mill and served as its director. He also gave a library and gymnasium to the Carlisle Fitting School and large donations for the construction of a new Methodist church. The Bamberg House exemplifies a simplified Queen Anne structure, believed to have been built between 1869 and 1880. The five-sided wing, bay window, gables, brackets and irregularity of plan are all characteristic of this architectural style as are the asymmetrical façade, full length sash windows, and patterned brick chimneys. The tin roof features six chimneys, four of which have corbeled caps. The cornice is supported by wooden brackets. The house also has two remaining outbuildings: a smokehouse and a chicken house. The house is located in one of Bamberg’s oldest residential areas amidst structures of compatible architectural style. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1976
Reference number
76001692
NR name
Bamberg, Gen. Francis Marion, House
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1869
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 24, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources